Sunday, December 20, 2009

Fruitcake Cupcakes

Even though I only make it once a year, I love fruitcake....or I should say I love Mrs. Harvey's White Fruitcake. It's a little work and you get sticky fingers, but it is well worth the results when you get that wonderful aroma throughout your house while it is baking and when you take your first bite. Until two years ago, I always baked my fruitcake the normal way in a tube pan. Then my friend Jan K. said she baked hers in muffin tins. I tried it that year and that is how I do it now. There are pros and cons to baking it this way. You don't get that beautiful big cake to display on your holiday goodie buffet. Other than that, I think the cupcakes are the way to go. One fruit cake cupcake is just the right size for one serving of cake. They are easily frozen if any are left over and they are wonderful in February with a cup of coffee when there aren't as many sweets around. I also takes half the time to bake them. If you want a really good fruit cake give this one a try. I have been baking it for forty years, always with excellent results. It is just part of my family's Christmas traditions. Mrs. Harvey's White Fruit Cake

5 large eggs
1/2 pound butter
1 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 pound candied cherries
1 pound candied pineapple
4 cups pecans
1/2 ounce vanilla
1/2 ounce lemon extract
Chop nuts and fruits into medium sized pieces;dredge with 1/4 cup of the flour.
Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add well beaten eggs and blend well. Sift remaining flour and baking powder together; fold into egg and butter mixture. Add vanilla and lemon extracts. Mix well then add fruits and nuts. Blend well. Grease a 10 inch tube pan. Line the bottom with waxed paper then grease again. Pour/spoon batter into prepared pan. Place in a cold oven and bake at 250 degrees for 3 hours. Cool on cake rack. Makes a five pound cake.

Or bake in muffin tins lined with cupcake liners. Spoon batter just to the top. Bake for 1 1/2 hours. Makes approximately 28 fruit cake cupcakes.

3 comments:

  1. They look and sound so yummy, thanks for sharing the recipe, Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely comment you left on my blog...I am madly visiting everyone before I go away for the holidays. Your blog is lovely and what fun being an art teacher...I am a grade 1 and 5 teacher but always wanted to teach art to high school students. Your fruitcake looks amazing..thank you for sharing. Wishing you a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds WAY yummy!!! I will have to give it a go next year. I did the traditional 12 cup fluted pan / Rum cake version...you know the door stop kind! LOL '-P)

    I've been baking chocolate chip & peanut butter cookies all day! I'm POOPED! '-)

    Merry Merry lady!

    Chris (-'

    ReplyDelete